by: Patricio Robayo
A powerful explosion that hit Patio Homes in Kiamesha Lake, NY around 12:30 pm on Saturday, September 30.
According to NY State Police, the cause of the explosion was a propane leak, resulting in three injuries, and the victims were transported to Westchester Medical Center, where they are listed in critical condition.
“Almost 50 years of fire service I’ve never seen anything like this. It’s crazy,” said Thompson Town Supervisor Bill Rieber Jr. describing the devastation.
The explosion happened on James Place in Kiamesha Lake.
Rieber said plywood, rafters, and metal aluminum scattered over a long distance.
Authorities say the explosion doesn’t seem to be a criminal act, but the investigation is ongoing, according to the New York State Police.
John Hauschild, the Sullivan County Fire Coordinator said when he arrived on the scene, that it was devastating to witness the aftermath.
“It affected several houses in that community and residents. When I got there myself, Monticello Fire Department had a command set up along with the law enforcement agencies and EMS. Our EMS coordinator, Alex Rau, was there and helped assist with the additional ambulances that were required and requested to the scene,” said Hauschild.